I am an isotope geochemist studying the fundamental controls on isotopic distributions in rocks.
I am an expert in using multiple isotopes simultaneously to determine mechanisms of geochemical cycling, from both a theoretical and experimental perspective. My Ph.D. work focused on the triple-isotope systems, such as in oxygen, and how they are used to determine temperatures and mechanisms of geochemical reactions.
In the Yeung Lab, I using a laser fluorination system to extract oxygen from a variety of oxide minerals, which can tell us about the environments in which they formed.
NSF Postdoctoral Fellow, Rice University, 2018 -
Postdoctoral Research Associate, Rice University 2016 - 2018
Ph.D., Geochemistry, Louisiana State University 2016
M.S., Geology, Louisiana State University 2013
B.S., Geology, University of South Alabama 2010
- Condit, C. B., M. E. French, J. A. Hayles, L. Y. Yeung, and C. T. A. Lee, “Fluid sources and stress state at deep slow slip conditions in subduction zones,” submitted.
- Hayles, J. A., M. Homann, B. Shen, A. Banerjee, H. Jiang, C. T. A. Lee, and L. Y. Yeung, “Triple-isotope evidence for three-billion-year secular evolution of oxygen isotopes in seawater," in review at Science.
- Yeung, L. Y., J. A. Hayles, H. Hu, J. L. Ash, and T. Sun, “Scale distortion from pressure baselines as a source of inaccuracy in triple-isotope measurements,” Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom. 32 (2018) 1811-1821. doi: 10.1002/rcm.8247
- Crockford, P. W., J. A. Hayles, H. Bao, N. J. Planavsky, A. Bekker, P. W. Fralick, G. P. Halverson, T. H. Bui, Y. Peng,and B. A. Wing, "Triple oxygen isotope evidence for limited mid-Proterozoic primary productivity," Nature 559 (2018) 613-616. doi: 10.1038/s41586-018-0349-y
- Hayles, J. A., C. Gao, X. Cao, Y. Liu, and H. Bao, "Theoretical calibration of the triple oxygen isotope thermometer," Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 235 (2018) 237-245. doi: 10.1016/j.gca.2018.05.032
- Blättler, C. L., M. W. Claire, A. R. Prave, K. Kirsimäe, J. A. Higgins, P. V. Medvedev, A. E. Romashkin, D. V. Rychanchik, A. L. Zerkle, K. Paiste, T. Kreitsmann, I. L. Millar, J. A. Hayles, H. Bao, A. V. Turchyn, M. R. Warke, and A. Lepland, "Two-billion-year-old evaporites capture Earth’s great oxidation," Science 360 (2018) 320-323. doi: 10.1126/science.aar2687
- Hayles, J. A., X. Cao, and H. Bao, "The statistical mechanical basis of the triple isotope fractionation relationship," Geochem. Persp. Let. 3 (2017), 1-11. doi: 10.7185/geochemlet.1701
- Crockford, P. W., B. R. Cowie, D. T. Johnston, P. F. Hoffman, I. Sugiyama, A. Pellerin, T. H. Bui, J. Hayles, G. P. Halverson, F. A. Macdonald, and B. A. Wing, "Triple oxygen and multiple sulfur isotope constraints on the evolution of the post-Marinoan sulfur cycle," Earth Planet. Sci. Lett. 435 (2016), 74-83. doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2015.12.017
- Bao, H., X. Cao, and J. A. Hayles, "Triple Oxygen Isotopes: Fundamental Relationships and Applications," Annu. Rev. Earth Planet. Sci. 44 (2016), 463-492. doi: 10.1146/annurev-earth-060115-012340
- Bao, H., X. Cao, and J. A. Hayles, "The confines of triple oxygen isotope exponents in elemental and complex mass-dependent processes," Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 170 (2015), 39-50. doi: 10.1016/j.gca.2015.07.038
- Hayles, J. A. and H.Bao, "The Reduction and Oxidation of Ceria: A Natural Abundance Triple Oxygen Isotope Perspective," Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 159 (2014), 220-230. doi: 10.1016/j.gca.2015.03.030
- Killingsworth, B. A., J. A. Hayles, C. Zhou, and H. Bao, "Sedimentary constraints on the duration of the Marinoan Oxygen-17 Depletion (MOSD) event," Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 110 (2013), 17,686–17,690. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1213154110