I am interested in understanding biogeochemical cycles of other planets through application of novel isotopic tools.
I am leading a NASA-funded study on the triple-oxygen-isotope composition of sulfate minerals found in Martian meteorites. I also manage the Rice University Stable Isotope Lab, helping students and postdocs analyze stable-isotope abundances in a variety of materials.
Ph. D., Geology, Louisiana State University
B. S., University of Science and Technology China
- Sun, T., K. D. Bake, P. R. Craddock, B. Gunawan, L. M. Darnell, K. K. Bissada, and A. E. Pomerantz, "Acid demineralization with pyrite removal and critical point drying for kerogen microstructural analysis," Fuel 253 (2019) 266-272. doi: 10.1016/j.fuel.2019.05.024
- Yeung, L. Y., J. A. Haslun, N. E. Ostrom, T. Sun, E. D. Young, M. A. H. J. van Kessel, S. Lücker, and M. S. M. Jetten, "In situ quantification of biological N2 production using naturally occurring 15N15N," Environ. Sci. Technol. 53 (2019) 5168-5175. doi: 10.1021/acs.est.9b00812.
- Yeung, L. Y., J. A. Hayles, H. Hu, J. L. Ash, and T. Sun, “Scale distortion from pressure baselines as a source of inaccuracy in triple-isotope measurements,” Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom. 32 (2018) 1811-1821. doi: 10.1002/rcm.8247
- Sun, T., H. Bao, M. Reich, and S. R. Hemming,"More than ten million years of hyper-aridity recorded in the Atacama gravels," Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 227 (2018) 123-132. doi: 10.1016/j.gca.2018.02.021
- Huang, J., L. Feng, X. Chu, T. Sun, H. Wen, L. Qin, and Y. Shen, "A predominantly ferruginous condition in the Ediacaran deep ocean: Geochemistry of black shales in the Ediacaran Doushantuo Formation, South China," Precam. Res. 295 (2017) 12-23. doi: 10.1016/j.precamres.2017.04.019
- Sun, T., R. A. Socki, D. L. Bish, R. P. Harvey, H. Bao, P. B. Niles, R. Cavicchioli and E. Tonui, "Lost cold Antarctic deserts inferred from unusual sulfate formation and isotope signatures," Nat. Comm. 6 (2015) 7579. doi: 10.1038/ncomms8579
- Sun, T. and H. Bao, "Thermal-gradient induced non-mass-dependent isotope fractionation," Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom. 25 (2011) 765-773. doi: 10.1002/rcm.4912
- Sun, T. and H. Bao, "Non-mass-dependent 17O anomalies generated by a superimposed thermal gradient on a rarefied O2 gas in a closed system," Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom. 25 (2011) 20-24. doi: 10.1002/rcm.4825
- Bao, H., T. Sun, I. Kohl, and Y. Peng, "Comment on 'Early Archaean microorganisms preferred elemental sulfur, not sulfate,'" Science 319 (2008) 1336. doi: 10.1126/science.1151241
- Elswick, E. R., J. C. Hower, A. M. Carmo, T. Sun, S. M. Mardon, "Sulfur and carbon isotope geochemistry of coals and derived combustion by-products: An example from an Eastern Kentucky power plant," Appl. Geochem. 22 (2007)2065-2077. doi: 10.1016/j.apgeochem.2007.04.018